We are a Tenacious People or, At Least, We are Called To Be
Tenacious defined – 1a: not easily pulled apart: COHESIVE; b: tending to adhere or cling especially to another substance 2a: persistent in maintaining, adhering, or seeking something valued or desired.
We all want to think we are tenacious in our pursuit of God.
- We get the first look at our gifts and calling but lack understanding of what it will take to fulfill our purpose – Romans 11:29 – For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance.
- We tend to think more highly of ourselves than we ought to at the beginning of our walk with Christ – Romans 12:3 (NKJV) – For I say, through the grace given to me, to everyone who is among you, not to think of himselfmore highly than he ought to think, but to think soberly, as God has dealt to each one a measure of faith.
The enemy of God and mankind will oppose you.
- Isaiah 59:19 – …When (not if) the enemy comes in like a flood …
- 1 Peter 5:8 (NKJV) – Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour.
If we’re not careful, dullness will start to set in.
- The apostle Paul cautions us about becoming dull – Hebrews 6:12 (NLT) – Then you will not become spiritually dull and indifferent. Instead, you will follow the example of those who are going to inherit God’s promises because of their faith and endurance.
- But the Holy Spirit wants us to be sharp – Hebrews 4:12 (NLT) – For the word of God is alive and powerful. It is sharper than the sharpest two-edged sword, cutting between soul and spirit, between joint and marrow. It exposes our innermost thoughts and desires.
This is where tenacity needs to set in the believer.
- Fulfilling your call isn’t about being strong enough, it’s about not giving up – Proverbs 24:16 (NKJV) – For a righteous man may fall seven times And rise again, But the wicked shall fall by calamity.
- Ephesians 6:10-12 (NKJV) – Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might. 11 Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. 12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly
- We break strongholds by taking thoughts captive – 2 Corinthians 10:3-5.
- We are to overcome evil with good – Romans 12:21.
Being tenacious is a choice!
- Isaiah 59:19b – … the Spirit of theLord will lift up a standard against him.
- One of the toughest things in a Holy Spirit led ministry is the not know – Proverbs 16:9
- Fortunately this is not a choice we do on our own – Hebrews 4:16 (NLT) – So let us come boldly to the throne of our gracious God. There we will receive his mercy, and we will find grace to help us when we need it most.
We are called to become a “people” – a tenacious people!
* The audio corresponding to this post is under “media” on this site – www.dhfirstag.org