The Power of the Holy Spirit
We are to preach the gospel, and to preach it with power.
- 1 Thessalonians 1:5 (NKJV) – For our gospel did not come to you in word only, but also in power, and in the Holy Spirit and in much assurance, as you know what kind of men we were among you for your sake.
- Romans 15:19 (NKJV) – In mighty signs and wonders, by the power of the Spirit of God, so that from Jerusalem and round about to Illyricum I have fully preached the gospel of Christ.
So where’s the power?
- 2 Timothy 3:5 (NKJV) – …having a form of godliness but denying its power. And from such people turn away!
That’s where the Holy Spirit comes in.
- Acts 1:4, 8 (NKJV) – 4 And being assembled together with them,He commanded them not to depart from Jerusalem, but to wait for the Promise of the Father, “which,” He said, “you have heard from Me; … 8 But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.”
So what’s the power of the Holy Spirit look like? It’s looks like the Kingdom of Heaven on earth.
- It’s the preaching of the gospel of the Kingdom – Luke 9:2 (NKJV) – He sent them to preach the kingdom of God and to heal the sick.
- It’s a demonstration of the Kingdom – Luke 10:17 (NKJV) – Then the seventy returned with joy, saying, “Lord, even the demons are subject to us in Your name.”
- Peter with the power of the Holy Spirit – Acts 2:14, 22 (NKJV) – 14 But Peter, standing up with the eleven, raised his voice and said to them, “Men of Judea and all who dwell in Jerusalem, let this be known to you, and heed my words” … 41 Then those who gladly received his word were baptized; and that day about three thousand souls were added to them. 42 And they continued steadfastly in the apostles’ doctrine and fellowship, in the breaking of bread, and in prayers. 43 Then fear came upon every soul, and many wonders and signs were done through the apostles. 44 Now all who believed were together, and had all things in common, 45 and sold their possessions and goods, and divided them among all, as anyone had need.
With the power of the Holy Spirit we can hope big!!
- We can’t hope too big when the power of the Holy Spirit is involved – Ephesians 2:20-21 (NKJV) – Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us, 21 to Him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever. Amen.
* The audio corresponding to this post is under “media” on this site – www.dhfirstag.org – and is available on Monday