The Beatitudes – Luke 6
- Some really hard things, above the requirement of the Moseic law – love your enemy, pray for those who spitefully use you, bless those who curse you, don’t judge and forgive
- Only then can we be like our teacher – Jesus
- These are transformational things, things that can’t be sustained in the flesh. Can only be done by the Holy Spirit – Galatians 2:20
- How do we know we have the Holy Spirit – because we are able to do things humanly impossible
So where’s the beef, the power
- Luke 6:38– “Give, and it will be given to you: good measure, pressed down, shaken together, and running over will be put into your For with the same measure that you use, it will be measured back to you.”
- We think this scripture about finances. But it’s the gift of the Holy Spirit.
So how do we know we are filled with the Holy Spirit?
- Understand – ask – receive, but most importantly be hungry
- Luke 6:43-44– a tree is known by it’s fruit
- Galatians 5– what the fruit should like
- These fruits line up with the Beatitudes
- We know we are filled when doing the Beatitudes effortlessly
Who’s ever leading you is what’s occupying your soul?
- Romans 8:4-8– He did this so that the just requirement of the law would be fully satisfied for us, who no longer follow (are led by) our sinful nature but instead follow (are led by) the Spirit. 5 Those who are dominated by the sinful nature think about sinful things, but those who are controlled by the Holy Spirit think about things that please the Spirit.6 So letting your sinful nature control your mind (soul)leads to death. But letting the Spirit control your mind (soul) leads to life and peace. 7 For the sinful nature is always hostile to God. It never did obey God’s laws, and it never will. 8 That’s why those who are still under the control of their sinful nature can never please God.
- We’ve got to get hungry, spiritually hungry – Matthew 5:6–Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be filled.
- So we can say to be filled with the Holy Spirit is to be led by the Spirit – No shortcuts