It’s Time to Double Down
We are in season where there are many challenges.
- We are in the season of birth pains – Matthew 24:8, Mark 13:8.
- We are already experiencing some of the symptoms: pestilence (coronavirus) and nation (ethnic) groups against each other – Matthew 24:7.
- We see playing it safe is not the answer in the parable of the talents – Matthew 25:14-30.
So what is doubling down? 1: to double the original bid in blackjack in exchange for only one more card – the first known use of this term was in 1949. 2: to become more tenacious, zealous, or resolute in a position or undertaking.
The best defense is a good offence.
- Matthew 11:12 (NLT) – And from the time John the Baptist began preaching until now, the Kingdom of Heaven has been forcefully advancing, and violent people are attacking it.
- The sword of the Spirit is our offensive weapon – Ephesians 6:17 – And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:
- And this weapon is skillfully applied by faith – Roman 10:17 – So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
- 2nd Timothy 3 tells us the last days are perilous times. 2nd Timothy 4 tells how to respond, by preaching the Word!
Doubling down is a risk. It’s called faith.
- Hebrews 11 is filled with people who took risk, even to painfully losing their life.
- But faith is not a risk at all – Hebrews 11:1 – Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
So how does a believing believer double down?
- We must submit to God, resist the devil and then he will flee from you – James 4:7.
- The kingdom of Heaven has certain characteristics – Romans 14:17 (NKJV) – For the kingdom of God is not eating and drinking, but righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit.
- But we must also raise up a higher standard – Isaiah 59:19 (NKJV) – So shall they fear The name of the Lord from the west, And His glory from the rising of the sun; When the enemy comes in like a flood, The Spirit of the Lord will lift up a standard against him.
But only when we double down do we get the double portion.
- 2 Kings 2:9-13a (NLT) – And Elisha replied, “Please let me inherit a double share of your spirit and become your successor.” 10 “You have asked a difficult thing,” Elijah replied. “If you see me when I am taken from you, then you will get your request. But if not, then you won’t.” 11 As they were walking along and talking, suddenly a chariot of fire appeared, drawn by horses of fire. It drove between the two men, separating them, and Elijah was carried by a whirlwind into heaven.12 Elisha saw it and cried out, “My father! My father! I see the chariots and charioteers of Israel!” And as they disappeared from sight, Elisha tore his clothes in distress. 13 Elisha picked up Elijah’s cloak/mantle, which had fallen when he was taken up… – The picking up of Elijah’s mantle would be the tough part for Elisha.
* The audio corresponding to this post is under “media” on this site – www.dhfirstag.org – and is available on Monday
- April 2021
- March 2021
- February 2021
- January 2021
- December 2020
- November 2020
- October 2020
- September 2020
- August 2020
- July 2020
- June 2020
- May 2020
- April 2020
- March 2020
- February 2020
- January 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- January 2018