The Church has a purpose on earth.
- Matthews 28:19 (NKJV) – Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.
- And in the early Church they did this by – Acts 2:46 (NKJV) – So continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, they ate their food with gladness and simplicity of heart.
A Church that’s on one accord.
- Acts 15:24-25 (NKJV) – Since we have heard that some who went out from us have troubled you with words, unsettling your souls, saying, “You must be circumcised and keep the law”—to whom we gave no such commandment— 25 it seemed good to us, being assembled with one accord, to send chosen men to you with our beloved Barnabas and Paul.
A Church with a common vision.
- Habakkuk 2:2-3 (NKJV) – Then the Lord answered me and said: “Write the vision and make it plain on tablets, that he may run who reads it. 3 For the vision is yet for an appointed time; but at the end it will speak, and it will not lie. Though it tarries, wait for it; because it will surely come, it will not tarry.
A Church with a common mission.
- One definition of mission is to walk out the vision.
- And every mission has this in common – To seek and to save that which is lost, the same as Jesus’ (Luke 19:10).
A Church endowed with power.
- Acts 1:4, 8 (NKJV) – And being assembled together with them, He commanded them not to depart from Jerusalem, but to wait for the Promise of the Father, “which,” He said, “you have heard from Me; … 8 But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.”
- Luke 10:17-19 (NKJV) – Then the seventy returned with joy, saying, “Lord, even the demons are subject to us in Your name.” 18 And He said to them, “I saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven.19 Behold, I give you the authority to trample on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy, and nothing shall by any means hurt you.”
We are the Church!
- The ecclesia, the “called out” ones, will overcome the works of the enemy (Matthew 16:18).
- But it takes us being one; one accord, a common vision, a common mission, empowered by the Holy Spirit – 1 Corinthians 12:12.
1 Corinthians 13:12 (NKJV) – For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known.