You must first be a disciple to create other disciples.
- Let’s look at two very impressive moms in the Bible – Lois and Eunice.
- 2 Timothy 1:5 (NLT) – I remember your genuine faith, for you share the faith that first filled your grandmother Lois and your mother, Eunice. And I know that same faith continues strong in you.
- Timothy was willing to be taught – 2 Timothy 1:13 (NLT) – Hold on to the pattern of wholesome teaching you learned from me—a pattern shaped by the faith and love that you have in Christ Jesus.
Disciples recognize who they are in Christ Jesus.
- 1 Peter 2:9 (NLT) – But you are not like that, for you are a chosen people. You are royal priests, holy nation, God’s very own possession. As a result, you can show others the goodness of God, for he called you out of the darkness into his wonderful light.
- Disciples are ambassadors for Jesus – 2 Corinthians 5:20 – So we are Christ’s ambassadors; God is making his appeal through us. We speak for Christ when we plead, “Come back to God!”
Disciples will create other disciples.
- Matthew 28:18-20 (NLT) – Jesus came and told his disciples, “I have been given all authority in heaven and on earth. 19 Therefore, go and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. 20 Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you. And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”
- And Timothy is also called to make disciples – 2 Timothy 1:8a – So never be ashamed to tell others about our Lord.
Disciples are to model Christ for others.
- 1 Peter 5:2-3 (NLT) – Care for the flock that God has entrusted to you. Watch over it willingly, not grudgingly—not for what you will get out of it, but because you are eager to serve God. 3 Don’t lord it over the people assigned to your care, but lead them by your own good example.
- Romans 15:1 (NLT) – We who are strong must be considerate of those who are sensitive about things like this. We must not just please ourselves.
Nobody said it would be easy.
- Philippians 2:3 (NKJV) – Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself.
- Not the American culture
- Matthew 11:28-30 (ESV) – Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”