Communication – a Critical Component of Unity
In a recent article from an Assembly of God magazine, Influence, stated this regarding the Church: that God is changing the precepts on how one chooses a home church. The old way was to choose a church that fit our needs. That leads to us becoming more about us than about God’s plans and purposes.
The power of communication.
- PURPOSE + UNITY + COMMUNICATION = UNLIMITED POTENTIAL
- Genesis 11:6 – The Lord said, “If as one people speaking the same language they have begun to do this, then nothing they plan to do will be impossible for them.7 Come, let us go down and confuse their language so they will not understand each other.”
- THIS SHOWS THE POWER OF communication (even if for evil intent).
- God restores this communication on the day of Pentecost – Acts 2:4, 6 (NKJV) – And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance. 6 And when this sound occurred, the multitude came together, and were confused, because everyone heard them speak in his own language.
So why all the problems?
- We listen to things we shouldn’t be listening to. Its called gossip – 1 Corinthians 15:33 – Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners.
- We consider our opinion more important than others – Philippians 2:3 (NKJV) – Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself.
- We miss apply holy scripture – 2 Timothy 2:15 (NKJV) – Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
- We hear what we want to hear – 2 Timothy 4:3 (NLT) – For a time is coming when people will no longer listen to sound and wholesome teaching. They will follow their own desires and will look for teachers who will tell them whatever their itching ears want to hear.
- ministry is hard, ask David M. – but how earn right preach gospel
- This leads to when many left Jesus’ ministry – John 6:66 – From that time many of His disciples went back and walked with Him no more.
- Flesh/self, especially pride – Romans 8:5 (NKJV) – For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit.
Miscommunication causes chaos.
- 1 Corinthians 14:33 – For God is not the author of confusion but of peace, as in all the churches of the saints.
- The Devil is the author of chaos. First in charismatic church why people getting words that were in conflict
People will perish if we don’t get this communication thing right.
- Proverbs 29:18 – Where there is no vision, the people perish: but he that keepeth the law, happy is he.
- There is great power when the people of God can come into agreement and receive confirmation. But this only happens with godly communication.
* The audio corresponding to this post is under “media” on this site – www.dhfirstag.org – and is available on Monday