Christmas Story in the Bible
Emmanuel – God with us!
- God with us – Matthew 1:22-23 (NKJV) – So all this was done that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the Lord through the prophet, saying: 23 “Behold, the virgin shall be with child, and bear a Son, and they shall call His name Immanuel,” which is translated, “God with us.”
- This is referencing the Isaiah 7:14
- John 1:1, 14 (NKJV) – In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God… 14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.
What about the Magi?
- Matthew 2:1-2 (NKJV) – Now after Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judea in the days of Herod the king, behold, wise men from the East came to Jerusalem, 2 saying, “Where is He who has been born King of the Jews? For we have seen His star in the East and have come to worship Him.”
- This is referencing the prophecy in Micah 5:2 about Bethlehem.
- Worship releases the gifts – Matthew 2:11 (NLT) – They entered the house and saw the child with his mother, Mary, and they bowed down and worshiped him. Then they opened their treasure chests and gave him gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh.
- Advent gifts opened in worship
Why the shepherds?
- Luke 2:8-12 (NKJV) – Now there were in the same country shepherds living out in the fields, keeping watch over their flock by night.9 And behold, an angel of the Lord stood before them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were greatly afraid. 10 Then the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid, for behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy which will be to all people. 11 For there is born to you this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord. 12 And this will be the sign to you: You will find a Babe wrapped in swaddling cloths, lying in a manger.”
- Maybe Jesus choose the shepherds because those are the type of people He is closes to – Matthew 11:29 (NLT) – Take My yoke upon youand learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.
Why the shepherds? Maybe because we are called to become a people like those shepherds!
* The audio corresponding to this post is under “media” on this site – www.dhfirstag.org
against ancient enemy attack awakening chaos charismatic Christian christian education church coronavirus covid-19 Dearborn Dearborn Heights defence Detroit double down encourage era evangelism faith fear fear of the Lord for God's way insidious intensify intensity Jesus Leadership Leviathan New Era offense open overcomers Pentecostal revival schemes storm stress time trust will of God Word yourself Ziklag